Saturday, November 6, 2010

How to do ' BEDMAS '

B - brackets ( )
E - exponents
D
- division ÷
M - multiplication x
A - addition +
S - subtraction -


1. You check to see if they are any brackets in the math question.

2. Then you look for any exponents in the math question.

3. So if they are any division or multiplication questions, start from the left to the right. If the question is division first you should divide. If the question is multiplication first, then you should multiply.

4. Same thing you should do with the addition and subtraction you start from left, then right. If the question is addition first then you should add. Or if the question is subtraction first then you should subtract.





Homework.



1). Annie has been asked to calculate 1.7+6÷2. She claims the answer is 3.85. Do you agree? Explain why or why not?

- I dont agree that she's right because the write answer is 4.7. And this is how I got the answer.



2). Put brackets in the following expression to get the largest value as possible. What problem solving strategy did you use?







3). Create a problem that could be solved using the following expression.


(2.5)+1.25+5x(1.6)=11.75


Problem: Zachary saw muffins that costed $1.60 each. Then he saw huge candycanes that costed $2.50, then he saw a package of candles that costed $1.25. He wants to buy 1 muffin, 1 huge candycane and 5 packages of candles but he only has $10.00. Would Zachery have enough money to buy 5 muffins, 1 huge candycane, and 1 package of candles?


Answer: Zachary wont have enough money to buy the muffins, huge candycane and the package of candles because the 5 muffins, 1 huge candycane, and 1 package of candles all together costs $11.75. Here's how I got my answer.













15 comments:

Kamille817 said...

Hey, Abby! Good job on making scribe-post. I like when you put down the steps, it really helps me a lot, but, I think you should put an image, also a video.

Thanks again. ~:D~

beverly814 said...

Hey Abigail, awesome job on your scribe post, you explained everything we needed to know about order of operations. You should try putting a picture or a video on. :)

madeline816 said...

Hey Abigail! Awesome job on your post! Even though you weren't at school actually learning it, but you could have put a picture.:)

Anonymous said...

Hi Abby, I like your scribe-post. You explained everything we did in class. I like the video, I understand how he's explaining the order of operations.

hannah816 said...

Hi Abigail, great scribe post! Your steps help alot and i can really understand your solutions to the problem. Thanks! But next time you should put a link.

Diana814 said...

Hey Abigail, I think you did a great job on your scribe post. Even though you were away and you catched up to us. I like the way you made your post really clear. I also think you should add a link http://cemc2.math.uwaterloo.ca/mathfrog/english/kidz/order.shtml.

kassey814 said...

great job explaining what we did in class even though you weren't there however the video is kind of boring maybe next time you can find a better one GREAT JOB!

aaron873 said...

good job abby you have everything even thogh you werent even there but still good job :)

jamodin 816 said...

Hey Abby. You did a good job with your scribe and you got everything we did in math even though you weren't there.

Sarah7-11 said...

Hey Abby! Great job on your scribe post. I really like the colors of it, but I suggest that you should use darker colors so it's easier to read. I also think that you should put a link so other people can practice their order of operations. Maybe this link will work http://www.mathplayground.com/order_of_operations.html. You still did a great job. Thanks! :D

ronalen 8-14 said...

hi abby nice job on your scribe post the video really helps

Danilyn8-73 said...

Hi Abby. I like how you organized your post with color, it really brings out the subjects.

irena814 said...

Hi Abigail, I really like you scribe post! Even though you were away, you caught up! I liked how you used money to solve the problem. It really makes sense to me when you put it that way. However I don't agree with you on #2. I think you could put the brackets somewhere else to get a larger value. Like maybe, before the 2 and after the 4. So it will give you, 13.2. And 13.2 is larger than 10. Well that's all. Great work Abby!

serena 814 said...

Hi Abigail, I really like your word problem and I also liked how you showed how you got the answer to your question. Here is a link I think you should add to your scribe post.
http://www.mathplayground.com/order_of_operations.html

Sompong8-17 said...

Hey there, Abby! I like the way you explained everything with detail. You should really read over your writing because in your last problem, you put "candycanes that costed" when it should be " candy canes that cost". So watch out with past tense, but other than that, nice post! :)