Monday, May 30, 2011

Patterns and Expressions

Patterns- are arrangements of shapes, colors, numbers, letters, words, and so on. For which you can predict what comes next.
Example:



Variable- A letter that represents an unknown number


Expression- Any single number or variable, or a combination of operation involving numbers and variables.


Value- A known or calculated amount
Constant- A number that does not change increases or decreases the value of the expression no matter what the value of the variable. 


Numerical Coefficient- A number that multiplies the variable.



______________________________________________________________________


Let the variable C represent the unknown number of counters in the cup shown in the diagram. What is an expression for the total number of counters shown?
Answer:

Use cups and and counters to model the expression 3x + 3


Evaluate:  3x + 2 when
☺x = 3
☺x = 4


Other examples;


Online games to help YOU!

WATCH THIS VIDEO:



7 comments:

madeline816 said...

Hey Kamille, great job on your scribe post! I like the color you used for the definition of patterns, it matched the example. I also liked the way you put different colors for different definitions, how you took some pictures from the text book, and the video and the link were very helpful. This coud really help lots of people.

serena 814 said...

Hi kamille, awesome job on your scribe post. I liked how you used pictures to show what you were talking about. I also liked how you gave us a link and a video to help us.
Here is another link that i think that you might like: http://ca.ixl.com/math/grade-7/evaluate-single-variable-expressions

Anonymous said...

Hi Kamille. Good job on your post. I liked how you gave examples on how to do expressions. The video was helpful. I suggest to change the font size.

hannah816 said...

Hi Kamille. Great scribe post! It's very colorful and bright! The images you added are great, I like how you took some of the pictures from the textbook. It is also easy to read and understand. Helpful for the exams! Good Job! Here is another video that may also help. ; http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KbpoRIl4law&feature=related

abby873 said...

Hi kamille! your post was really well done, everything was understandable for me and it was really organized and easy for me to read! I really liked how you added the images to join in with your post, that was really well done. Heres another video that may help you. GOOD JOB(:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B4bVlDgHF5I

beverly814 said...

Hey Kamille, great scribe post. I could understand everything that you explained in your post. I liked how it was organized it helped me a lot. I also liked how you added pictures that matched what you were trying to explain. WELL DONE kamille! :)

Heres another video i found for you
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KbpoRIl4law&feature=related

aaron873 said...

Hi kamille I really like you scribe post. i really like how you made your font big and your colors. i really like you pictures it really helps to go with the sentences. Your video and link really helped me a lot. you did a good Job. There nothing to say but
GOOD JOB KAMILLE :)